Founded by the queen D. Leonor the Convent of Madre Deus over 500 years ago, was object of several construction works until the 18th century, this church is one of the most beautiful example of baroque construction in Portugal.
The Convent of Madre Deus, formerly belonging to the Order of Santa Clara, is located in the eastern zone of Lisbon, and currently houses the National Tile Museum. It was built in 1509 by Queen D. Leonor, the wife of King João II. It was only around 1550 that the present church of Madre de Deus was built by order of King João III and later decorated in the reigns of D. Pedro II, D. João V and D. José, between the end of the seventeenth century and the mid-eighteenth century.
In this temple, the carving and the tiles are one of the best examples of the Baroque in Portugal.
Currently, the Madre de Deus church is an integral part of the National Azulejo Museum, an important keeper of Portuguese culture.
The museum houses in its domains an extensive collection that tells of how the tile is manufactured, its history, trends and other important aspects that involve this decorative and symbolic element.
Convent of Santos-o-Novo
It was built in the early seventeenth century, during the reign of D. Philip II of Portugal, for the Commenders of the Order of Santiago. Partly destroyed by the earthquake of 1755, it was later recovered.
After the extinction of the religious orders in 1834, the Honorary Commendadoras of the Military Order of Sant’Iago of the Sword remained in the place until the Implantation of the Republic in 5 of October of 1910, date in which the 2º floor was occupied by the School Superior of D. António da Costa, and later occupied by the Sidónio Pais Institute. Currently belongs to the Gatherings.
Convent of Grilo
Convento do Grilo is a Baroque architecture building, located in the parish of Beato, in Lisbon. It is classified as Property of Public Interest, since the year 2002.
The community of the Barefoot Brothers of St. Augustine settled there in 1663, with the monastery beginning to be built in 1666. It suffered a fire in the year 1683, which destroyed the church. It underwent a later reconstruction, not having been much affected by the earthquake of 1755. Extintas of the religious orders in Portugal, in the place was installed the Recolhimento of Our Lady of the Amparo or of the Cricket.
Some of the elements to highlight are the galilee of 3 arches to access the interior, the interior has eight chapels, 3 on each side of the nave and 2 more at the ends of the transept. The main chapel is of 18th century style with an image of Our Lady of Monte Olivete, orago of the convent, one of St. Bartholomew and one of St. Augustine. It has tiles dated from the 18th century